(preparation time 40 minutes)
This is what you'll need for 4 servings (though Anna doubles the recipe):
- 4 slices bacon or salt pork
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (6 oz. each) minced clams with liquid
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley (very optional)
- In a large heave saucepan, sauté bacon or pork until brown and crisp. Remove. Drain on paper towels. Dice or crumble.
- In same skillet, sauté chopped onion and potatoes for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle with flour.
- Add clam juice from cans and from bottle. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring from time to time, until potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Add half-and-half and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add minced clams. Heat until simmering. Do not boil. Add whipping cream, if used. Sprinkle with parsley or diced pork or bacon. Serve immediately.
Good served with croutons or small crackers, hearty bread and beer, red wine or beverage of your choice.